Red Thread to Sophia

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Who is really the offender?

Just like everyone else in my town this was taped to my door a few weeks ago. It instantly reminded me of the movie Little Children with my girlfriend Kate Winslate. Excellent flick if you have not had the chance. Anyway, it made me laugh. I realize that was the exact opposite intention. Really? They want to "fined" out who these people are. Then it actually struck me to be upset about this, but once again, not in the way that it was intended to. I was pissed at whom ever did this. It's a total fear tactic. The best part is that we went to the website. It's FEE service that allows you to check your zip code for offenders in your area. It's a monthly deal so that you can check your hood when ever you need to feel unsafe in your own home. They provide this lovely service for $4.95 per month. I was reading an article today about how this played out in other homes. You know, since we just laughed a lot about the "fined" in ours. There were 911 calls from freaked out kids whose parents were not home. There was undue stress and fear for hundreds of families. So basically this stunt caused a lot of drama for a lot of people. Even if we had kids I truly think that I would feel the same way about it. I do believe that as a parent that it is important to be aware of what is going on. I just can't stand this drive to make money off of a bunch of freaked out families. Also, the term sex offender is a pretty wide array of people. It can be anything from a serial rapist to a minor that decided to be a dumb ass. The latter actually has happen in my own family. The boy was 13 and was dared to go honk the boob of a girl in his class that he had a crush on. The girl went home crying and mortified, as I would have at that age. Her parents filed sexual harassment charges against the boy. He is now classified as a sex offender. NO JOKE! So what do we know about these sex offenders? Nothing. Other than we need to assume the worst. We need to exile them. We need to show up on a mob and force them out. I don't know where the line is drawn. I think that you should be aware, but when is it just going too far? All I know is that this flier was too far for me. It doesn't help that they spelled it "fined"!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home